To ensure you are not in violation of the Hatch Act, this information should not be downloaded using government equipment, read during duty time or sent to others using government equipment, because it suggests action to be taken in support or against legislation. Do not use your government email address or government phone in contacting your Member of Congress.
If you're not using government equipment and you're not on duty time, remember you must make it clear that you are contacting them as a citizen and are not speaking on behalf of the agency.

How Do I Lobby?
Meeting with an elected official is the most direct method of lobbying. This is a great opportunity to communicate with lawmakers and their staff on the issues that are important to you.

During a meeting with an elected official and his/her staff you will be able to articulate your concerns to the member while at the same time educating them about the issues important to you. Meeting with elected officials is an invaluable way to establish a mutually beneficial relationship between you and the official and his/her staff.

Meeting with elected officials for the first time can be a bit overwhelming. In order to have a successful meeting it is important you are well prepared.

Check out this tip sheet to help you prepare for a meeting with your elected official.

Contact the Council
There are a number of effective ways to contact elected officials. You can write a letter, send an email, make a phone call or schedule a meeting. With all forms of communication is it important to remember these three golden rules: be specific, be brief and be reasonable.

Here is a sample letter and sample talking points to help you when contacting the council.

You can use the Council Directory to contact your Councilman/woman on issues that affect your conditions of employment as of the District of Columbia government employee.

Read More About
Council of the District of Columbia
We can either have democracy in this country or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few; but we can't have both. - Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis
NAGE HEADQUARTERS 159 Burgin Parkway
Quincy, MA 02169
Main Phone: (617)376-0220
Main Fax: (617)984-5695
Union Local Tax Issues Federal law now requires that every local union file an annual information return—Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N—with the IRS. If your local fails to file under this new requirement.. Read more