Mar 04, 2016

Previous Work for the Commonwealth of MA Could Earn You a Higher Starting Salary

Higher starting salary?

If you have previously worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and have since been hired as a state employee, you may be eligible for a higher starting salary and additional vacation time. 

Employees who have previously worked as a personal service contractor (an “03”), a temporary employee, or vendor employee (an “07”) may be eligible for credit from their prior service.

If you think you may be eligible, ask yourself the following questions:

·         Were you previously working at a state managed facility?
·         Were you doing the same or similar work to that performed by state employees?
·         Did you perform the work just prior to being hired as a regular state employee?
·         Were you previously supervised by a state employee, either directly or indirectly?

If you answered YES to two or more of these questions, then it is probably worth pursuing then you may be eligible for more vacation time and a higher rate of pay based on prior service.  Please fill out the attached form and submit to your agency payroll or personnel office.
If you have questions on eligibility, please contact your HR department, the NAGE Member Action Center (MAC) or your union representative.   

You can find the form for your HR department to complete here.
You can find the form for the employee to complete here.

If an employee files the above paperwork with their own HR department, and the request for credit from prior service is denied, please contact your local president.  

The American Labor Movement has consistently demonstrated its devotion to the public interest. It is, and has been, good for all America. - John F. Kennedy
NAGE HEADQUARTERS 159 Burgin Parkway
Quincy, MA 02169
Main Phone: (617)376-0220
Main Fax: (617)984-5695
Union Local Tax Issues Federal law now requires that every local union file an annual information return—Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N—with the IRS. If your local fails to file under this new requirement.. Read more